Compressed (Zip?) in GUI

Core FTP client questions and answers
piffle

Compressed (Zip?) in GUI

Post by piffle »

I'm interested in coreFTP pro. From the features, it looks like I should be able to zip files before sending. The forum has a command line example but how do you set this up in GUI?

Site Manager - Advanced - has "External" and "Scripts" so I assume this is where it should be set up.

Didn't find anything in help or on site.

Thanks to all who can help me over the learning curve!
piffle

Post by piffle »

Yes, I did find that after coming back later and looking through the help. But I have to change the file name back to original and type in the password for every file.

Here is what I would like to do. For a given site (folder really), I would like to have a public key with individual private keys. Then automatically encrypt the file, with the original file name, and ftp the the encrypted file to the ftp site. The next best thing is to zip with a password while maintaining the original file name. And automate everything as much as possible.

OK, I'm trying to create an encrypted but shared archive on the cheap! I'm sure someone has tried this before.
piffle

Post by piffle »

I should think this would be a valuable feature given the amount of shared development these days. Even if the ftp server is on a company net, it can't hurt to have another layer in the security onion.

For now, we will just zip them up before sending.

Thanks for answering my question. It looks to be an excellent product. I've only used it about four times in testing so I haven't tested all the features, but it looks good. I really like the ability to export the settings. I can set up a connection, test it, and ship it off to people I want busy doing other things or who don't want to be bothered by having to learn something new.

I can say:
1) Install coreFTP
2) Import this
3) Send stuff

OK, that is overly simplified. Add encryption security and this would be an easy sell to a lot of organizations. I haven't found any other program that does this, or is even close to being able to do it.

Good job! :D