File size & time differs using new vers

Core FTP client questions and answers
jhallgren

File size & time differs using new vers

Post by jhallgren »

I use vers 1.3 build 1403 on W98SE with no "issues".
I now have 1.3 Build 1423.01 on my W2K that I have "issues" with:

When I download from my web site various HTML files for backup, the file size on W98 stays same...so I can tell they are exact same vers...and the time is 1 hr later on my sys compared to server, which is tolerable. Most likely due to daylight savings or something similar.

When I downloaded the same files on W2K, the file size changes...from 3077 to 3114, for example..even when I use binary and exclude ".html" from ascii list...why???? This is a REAL problem in making sure files are same vers!

Also, the time adjusted by 8 hours LESS, thus changing date in many cases...why???
jhallgren

Post by jhallgren »

It's really weird! As I stated before, I went to Options->Extensions->Ascii Extensions...removed ".html" from list and selected Binary via button...some files come down with exact same bytes...some don't...they increase in size on my side by a small amount...

I have yet to find the MDTM command that was referred to...might that be in another vers? (I using the free/lite vers)

I'm also using FAT32 on my W2K system...not doing the NTFS thing...
jhallgren

Post by jhallgren »

:oops: Now I see why the timestamp is off...I didn't remember there was an option WITHIN Site Manager that allows setting an offset for file folder date/time! On the Advanced -> General was the magic setting...I changed it from 0 to -4 and timestamps are now just fine!

Well, at least the times on website match the timestamps that show to users...so I can better verify that I have correct/current file...I still get a 4 hr change after download (Which I guess is due to fact my site server is in California and I'm in Mass.)

I had configured the old system back in Jan and only use it with the one site so was looking at only the options/values on main screen and site mngr.

Also, as I had stated in original post, I am using most current vers on the W2K. It was just my lack of knowledge of option locations. :roll:

The log doesn't show any info about why file sizes might differ, however.
jhallgren

Post by jhallgren »

I have not seen any TYPE cmds issued...however, after removing ".html" from the Ascii Extensions list and selecting Binary transfers via button, and after reboot, it seems to be working "correctly", in that, the nbr of bytes stays the same after download. However, on older release on older sys, I did not have to do these options and it still worked as i wanted.
jhallgren

Post by jhallgren »

Update for others who may view this post: I just realized that there are two different log files :oops:
The one that was being referred to here is the one stored in the CoreFTP Program files folder...I had not looked there before! I was looking only at the log file that is stored within my data file folder...which only has names of files transferred and date/time... The one in CoreFTP pgm has the full details of transfers...

So, to CP: You may wish to clarify to new users as myself WHICH log file to look at. Thanks again!
gccme

Post by gccme »

I have the same problem of file size ???

Very strange....

1- I copy a file (index.html @ 414 bytes) from my FTP server to my local drive and the file have not the same size (index.html @ 427 bytes) !!!

2- I re-copy the local file to my FTP server and I get a alert to overwrite the file (in this window I can see both files are not with the same size... but it's the same file). When I confirm to overwrite the right window (FTP side) let me see the new file updated (index.html @ 427 bytes) like my local file (index.html @ 427 bytes).

3- I make a refresh of the right window (FTP site)... and the size is going like was before (before step 1)(index.html @ 414 bytes) ...?

----------------------------------------

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 with last updates & CoreFTP Lite 1.3 build 1427. My hard drive is partitioned in NTFS. I also tested with Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 4.

---------------------------------------

This problem cause that I cannot synchronize my files correctly (message on your forum -> ( http://coreftp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=684 )

What is the solution to ensure the file size is not changed ?
gccme

Post by gccme »

Ok, Great !!! I found how to solve the size problem.

In Sites -> Site Manager -> Adavanced -> Transfers, check box about "Set default mode to BINARY".

* But I'm still with another problem that I talk under my other message in the forum about the MDTM date is changed when I upload a file through the server.