.htaccess hiding in plain sight

Report client bugs
sealless

.htaccess hiding in plain sight

Post by sealless »

I have a .htaccess file that I know exists but that I can't seem to see in CoreFTP. I have tried the Directory Commands->List Mode->Advanced setting and turning that on doesn't help - still can't see the file in the directory list.

The reason I know it exists is because I can use command line ftp (Win 2000) and GET the file. Interestingly I can't get it to display with DIR in ftp, either.

Another note - if i upload a .htaccess file it appears briefly in the directory listing but goes away on a refresh.

I have a feeling my ISP has something going on to hide this file... but I don't know why or how.

Any other tricks I can use to get this file to show up?
sneader

still can't see .htaccess files

Post by sneader »

I have build 1423 and I still cannot see .htaccess files. I run my own server (fedora core 3) so if it is something on my server that I need to change, let me know... however, the .htaccess files are able to be viewed in SFTP, as well as WS_FTP Pro, so I'm thinking this is a Core FTP bug?

Love the program thus far, otherwise. Thanks!

- Scott
sneader

Post by sneader »

Oops, I wasn't using the DEV version of 1423. Now that I've installed the DEV version, I see .htaccess files fine now... thanks!

- Scott
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

version 1434 here and no .htaccess display!

what am I doing wrong? :cry:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

just found the checkbox under Site Manager/Advanced

well, that's what I call burried deep away :?
may I suggest to put this option in a more obvious place :oops:
..and switch it on by default when connecting to an Unix/Apache server?!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

CP wrote:You can also set it from:

View -> options -> check advanced directory listings. If you only want to set it once for all sites.

The reason it's not turned on by default is because .htaccess a complicated issue for the average FTP user to deal with, and can cause problems if they edit it or accidently delete it. Having it on by default should be at the descretion of the server administrator by simply having the default directory listing command to include -al (ie: LIST -al).
Thanks, CP, for the feedback!
The only stumblestone here - I dint know that ADL had something to do with unhiding .htaccess :oops: