connection problems

Core FTP client questions and answers
Whiplash1024

connection problems

Post by Whiplash1024 »

I have been having problems lately. I usually back up my site using CoreFTP and sometimes it works no problem. Others it would randomly freeze when downloading a file and I would have to restart it. When I would restart it, it wont be able to connect to the host. I would wait for a few minutes and try again. It connects the second time but freezes on a different file. I would repeat it and eventually it works. I talked to my host about it and he said it was something to do with my network or router setup and I should enable passive mode. So how do I enable passive mode or, if theres a way, how can I make it run better through a router?

My router is BEFSR41 V4 if you need to know
Whiplash1024

Post by Whiplash1024 »

Okay I just tried a few other ftp programs and they all do it. so what do I need to do to my router/firewall?
Whiplash1024

Post by Whiplash1024 »

its taking forever and I dont know whats wrong with it.
Connect socket #668 to 72.21.54.194, port 64314...
150 Accepted data connection
226-Options: -a -l
226 33 matches total
Transferred 2,156 bytes in 6.135 seconds
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

it doesn't look like a firewall issue unless your firewall is blocking certian ports. If that was happening you would see timeout messages in the log.

Sometimes the server is just overloaded or needs a reboot...
Whiplash1024

Post by Whiplash1024 »

it happens all the time though and one of my friends has a site from the same host and has no problems
Ky

Post by Ky »

Have you tried putting the comp on DMZ? Does it still happen?

If it works on DMZ, then there is a port issue.

Have you tried other FTP clients?
Whiplash1024

Post by Whiplash1024 »

yes I tried about 4 other ones and they all wont work right. whats DMZ?
Ky

Post by Ky »

DMZ = Demilitarized Zone

It is a setting in your router that basically opens all the ports. NOTE: It will make you visible on the web so use it with caution.

Usually you put comps with special apps (such as email or webserver) on DMZ because people need to see your comp.

In your case, you are FTPing out... So I just wanted to know if you are okay on DMZ. If you are okay, then we try to figure out which ports are blocked and open only the ones you need. Or use a software firewall.
Or there should be a "Port Forwarding" in the Linksys routers as well that will direct certain trafic to a specific PC.

Look it up in your routers manual. Let me know how it works for you.
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

DMZ is a mode that will allow a computer to bypass most router settings. Gamers use it a lot so they can play games when certain ports are blocked by the router. If DMZ works then that would tell you your router is part of the problem.

Did you try port mode? (uncheck the pasv option)
Whiplash1024

Post by Whiplash1024 »

yeah I tried it checked and unchecked