Changing HTML editors

Core FTP client questions and answers
catfished

Changing HTML editors

Post by catfished »

Hi,

I have Core FTP LE Version 1.3 build 1423.01 and I cannot find a way to change my editor from notepad to another editor. I searched this board and all I could find is a way to change the editor for each file type for both remote and local directories. This would take forever so please tell me that there's a way to just change the default editor for all files and folders.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Ed
catfished

Post by catfished »

Well thank you for replying but that brings me right back to where I have to change every file extension individually and then delete every other one. I guess the answer is no there is no way to just change the default editor. Thanks for your time, I'll go back to any of my other FTP clients since I can at least change the editor with one click.
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

You can check the 'use default extensions' option in there too and then you won't have to spend all that time changing the extensions.
catfished

Post by catfished »

jeffd wrote:You can check the 'use default extensions' option in there too and then you won't have to spend all that time changing the extensions.
Thanks, I did that assuming you're referring to "Use default windows extensions" but I still get notepad instead of the editor I want except with the extensions I have changed. :?
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

I was thinking you could change the default executable and then try 'add all ascii' but that doesn't work. Wait it does but there is a trick.

If you change the default executable and then hit ok, then reenter the file associations settings, hit the "add all ascii" option again, you can add the whole list and delete the ones you don't want Core FTP to use for the default editor.

Or delete the whole list first with the delete button, and then add all might be better.
catfished

Post by catfished »

Thanks everyone for your time and effort but I think I'll go back to plan A:
Thanks for your time, I'll go back to any of my other FTP clients since I can at least change the editor with one click.
This program makes extremely simple matters into complicated messes. :roll:
Brendon K

Post by Brendon K »

If it's not a setting in your current build version, upgrade to the current DEV build, silly enough, it's more stable as far as I'm concerned.

In the Global Settings (View -> Options) in the "Extensions" section, there's a text field near the top with a "Browse" (actually it's listed as "...") button. It's labelled as "Default Executable". That will override any and all extensions that you do not have explicitly listed in the extension/program list.

(Upgrading to the current build should not overwrite your current settings.)

-edit-
The program doesn't make simple tasks into complicated messes, it's just that the GUI isn't very intuitive. You have to go looking for what you want, which isn't always where you expect it. However, having so many options and features in something that is simply made to upload and download files is rather difficult to do. :P
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

goes to show you can't please everyone all the time. We will try to get things fixed in the next release.