learning to FTP

Core FTP client questions and answers
jsunem

learning to FTP

Post by jsunem »

Although I have to use another FTP client, I have figured out how to FTP from Mac to Mac.

Now I want to do the same from PC to PC with CoreFTP. Unfortunately I can't get into my friends computer, nor he into mine. We have both forwarded ports 21 and 22 to our repective routers and created guest accounts with passwords. We enabled PASV and tried it with and without SFTP/SSH. Unfortunately, neither of us could get in to each other's accounts.

What have we forgotten to do?

Thanks,

Jason
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

Can you connect at all or is it just the directory listing that's not available?
jsunem

Post by jsunem »

not to one another's machine.

Could the fact that I'm running XP sercie Pack 1 be part of the problem?
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

If you can't even connect out then it is almost definitely a firewall problem.

Did you take a look at this link yet?

http://coreftp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=463

And if you're using Norton, search the forums for details. If you are using a firewall software with the XP firewall you may have to disable the XP firewall.
jsunem

Post by jsunem »

I am able to connect to my Dad's Mac just fine on this PC, so I guess I can connect out, just not to my friend's machine... nor he to mine. I'll read thru that post
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

this does sound like a router/firewall related problem on the server side. This doesn't sound like a problem connecting out, it's something blocking your connection to the server.

The easiest thing to do is go directly to the router/firewall software product website and do a search for FTP. Redirecting ports can be a real hassle with FTP but they will usually have a tutorial to cut to the chase.

good luck
Axeme

Post by Axeme »

I am the friend jsunem is trying to connect with, I posted the following on a different thread, and figured I'd post here to see myside of the info:

Greetings All,

I have recently found the desire to work with CoreFTP and try to transfer some files between family and friends.

I have windows XP pro with SP2
Norton system works 2k3
a D-link 704p router

I have set the router to allow ports 21 and22
I have gone into the windows Firewall and checked the box next to the COREFTP program.

I tried to connect to the microsoft site using these instructions:

http://www.coreftp.com/docs/web1/Connec ... server.htm

I can connect just fine using the procedures detailed in that.

However, when I try to connect to a friends machine I receive the following 2 different errors depending on which port I try:
Per his request I need to omit the ip addresses being tried

using port 21 and pasv and ssh.sftp both checked i get

looking up host:"IP address"
connecting to "address" port 21
network error: connection reset by peer
Unable to initialize SFTP: (8 squares show on my screen)followed by a "t" then in aprenthesis(spelled wrong im sure)(SFTP not enabled?)
in red i see:
Can't Establish Connection ---> "Ip Address" @ monday feb 06 Time (122-1)

If I use the same PASV and SSH settings as above I get the following using PORT 22

Looking up Host: :"IP address"
Connecting to: "IP Address" port 22
Can't Establish Connection ---> "Ip Address" @ monday feb 06 Time (122-1)

If I take ssh off i get the following:

for port 21

Connect to socket #892 to "ip address", port 21...
can't establish connection
Can't Establish Connection ---> "Ip Address" @ monday feb 06 Time (10054-38 )
An Existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

for port 22 i get

Connect to socket #956 to "ip address", port 22...
Can't Establish Connection ---> "Ip Address" @ monday feb 06 Time (0-5)

My friend has tested and his machine will connect out to his fathers machine just fine but he can not connect to mine nor can i connect to his.

Please any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and I would be happy to try and offer any additional info that may help.

Sorry for the length of this post just trying to porvide all info.

Thanks

B.
jsunem

next question

Post by jsunem »

Should I forward port 20 also, or is that one already open as a default?

I didn't know about port 20 as part of the FTP process till I read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftp#Overview
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

With FTP protocols (all exept SSH/SFTP) you have to open your port 21 AND a port range. This can be just about anywhere you want but like I said before, if your router doesn't allow a port range, you'll be in for some trouble. You may have to plug in ports one by one and your FTP port range should be at least 100 ports minimum (ex: 60000-60100).

With SSH/SFTP you only need port 22 open and forwarding to the correct port of your FTP server. This would be the easiest way to go for you guys since you only have to open/forward ONE port.

If norton systemworks includes a firewall (I don't know if it does) you'll have to disable your XP firewall

Port 20 only applies if you are in active mode on the directory listing channel. At this point though you can't even connect to the server so it's not really relevant.
jsunem

almost there

Post by jsunem »

Can't establishh connection, an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

any ideas?
jsunem

multiple computers behind router

Post by jsunem »

Let's say my friend is trying to get through to me, but I have multiple computers behind the router, each with forwarded ports? How does the system know wheichh machine to connect to if we all share the same external IP address?