A few questions about automating the ftp process

Core FTP client questions and answers
cmanet

A few questions about automating the ftp process

Post by cmanet »

Hello, i am using an evaluation copy of Core FTP so i can compare it to several other programs to see which will fit my needs best before i buy something that won't work. I was wondering if there is a way with Core FTP to automatically upload any files that are contained in a specified folder to a remote location (that will accept ftp transfers from the specific ip address).

What I need to do is when users save files to a certain folder, there has to be a process that automatically transfers the file via ftp to a remote server. I can write a infinite looping script that will check whether there are files in the folder, if so, it will execute the ftp program. What has to happen is, upon execution, the program has to automatically connect to a remote ftp site using a designated folder for the local folder. Once the connection is made, all of the contents of the local folder need to be uploaded to the remote site and be deleted once the transfer is made.

If you know how i can do this with Core FTP or if any other ftp programs are capable of such a process, i would be greatly appreciative. If you need further clarification as to what the program needs to do just ask. I'm trying to avoid writing a custom application and i like the layout of Core FTP so if it can do what i need i'd be happy to hear how.

Thanks!
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

Check out the help topic 'command line'.

An example:

c:\program files\coreftp\coreftp.exe -O -u c:\path\yourfiles*.* ftp://UserID:Password@www.yourdomain.com/directory -s

If you want to delete files after they are uploaded, you'll have to create a site profile, and under the advanced settings - transfers - select 'delete source after transfer'. Then use the site profile from the command line.

c:\program files\coreftp\coreftp.exe -O -u c:\path\yourfiles*.* -site yoursiteprofilename /directory -s

Other options you might want to add:

-output c:\outputresults.dat (for output results on each transfer)

-log c:\output.log (the session log output to a file)

-s (is for silent mode)
cmanet

Post by cmanet »

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a follow-up question though.

Maybe i'm putting the command line scripts in the wrong area. In the area for my site information for the server i'm connecting to, in the advanced tab, under "Post Login Commands" I typed this:

C:\Program Files\CoreFTP\coreftp.exe -O -u C:\Documents and Settings\newDir\My Documents\dls\atn\new\*.* -site Ivory -p /user/homes/admins/ -s

The transfer isn't taking place once the connection is made. I am trying to make it so as soon as the connection is made, the transfer takes place automatically, and as long as the connection is up, i'd like any new files that are placed in my local folder to be automatically transfered to the remote site.

I've used several different commands to try this and none of them worked. Is there anything else you can tell me that i could try?