Seting up multiple folders for multiple users

Core FTP client questions and answers
diogenese58

Seting up multiple folders for multiple users

Post by diogenese58 »

Is it possible to setup Core FTP Pro to log a user in to a specific directory/folder and allow them to upload to that folder.

Under the "Connect - Advanced - Directory/Folder" you can put in a Remot Start Folder but the program does not take you there automatically unless you check the Abs checkbox - When you check the Abs you are directed to the folder but you can't upload (unless I'm doing something wrong, which is entirely possible)

Any assistance would be appreciated as we are getting ready to purchase about 20 seats for our users.
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

Its much easier to setup the user's account/default directory on the FTP server. This way you do not have to configure Core FTP at all and when the user connects, they get put in their own directory automatically (usually a virtual one that looks like '/'). Putting a user in their own home directory will also prevent other users from accessing it (you can give an admin account access to all directories/folders on the server so they have access to everything).

If you create a bunch of directories on your server for Core FTP to access, you can't keep other users out of other directories unless the permissions are set for each account on the server.

If you want users to access all directories (or are just using one account for all users), then you can plug them into the advanced -> directory -> remote start folder (like you said above).

The easiest way to do this is to copy/paste the remote folder from the remote directory list. There is a dropdown that shows the current directory, so copying (right click on it) and pasting it into the advanced -> directory -> remote start folder setting, from there is usually the easiest way.

If you are having problems you can send your login information (host/user/password) to support@coreftp.com and we can tell you exactly which path settings to enter.
diogenese58

Post by diogenese58 »

Our hosting service has stated that we cannot have Virtual FTP due to the fact that we are utilizing a Windows Server.

We don't really care if all the users can access each others folder (most would not know how to do so anyway) what we want to do is have Core FTP log each user into their own folder when they connect - thatway I can setup a template for transfer (trying to make it as easy as possilble on the users. The paths would look something like

ftp.website.com/billing/user1
ftp.website.com/billing/user2

ftp.website.com/billing/user20

I will setup each user's computer to access the correct directory if possible.

What I'm still haveing a problem with is the setup - if I utilize the advanced settings it still does not log the user directly in to that directory. If I check the Abs it logges them into the correct directory but they can't seem to do an upload.

If I can provide any additional info please let me know
jeffd

Post by jeffd »

I think you have the path corrrect if it's changing to the directory (log shows the CWD with a return code of "250 ok").

Now it sounds like the user account (on the FTP server) doesn't have write access to the directory that they are uploading to. There should be something in the log that shows "access denied" or "can't upload". The user you are logging in with needs to be able to write to the directory so that it can upload.

Here is what it would look like in the log (upload to a Windows NT server):

CWD /billing/user1
250 CWD command successful.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (66,111,207,21,16,69).
LIST
Connect socket #23068 to 66.111.207.21, port 4165...
125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting.
226 Transfer complete.
Transferred 719 bytes in 0.047 seconds
D
257 "/billing/user1" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (66,111,207,21,16,66).
STOR test.txt
Connect socket #23068 to 66.111.207.21, port 4162...
550 test.txt: Access is denied.
test.txt - 0 bytes transferred